What is a dental onlay (post-and-core and recovery), and how is the tooth
What is a dental onlay is: when and how they are used in dentistry
The teeth of the man in my life faced many pressures and often destroyed. But modern technologies in dentistry help to solve this problem and help with the restoration of significant damage to dental tissue.
Special tabs are used today for high-quality resume functional and visual properties of teeth.
There are often situations when the carious education are expanding and deepening, hitting the walls of the teeth. Doctors in such situations is not always possible to correctly carry out the procedure of sealing, in addition, no one can guarantee normal functionality of the tooth.
In such cases, in dentistry, practiced by the use of special tabs.
What is it?
A dental onlay is an artificial miniature prosthesis that is installed on the remote location of the affected tissue to reproduce the anatomical shape of each tooth.
Essentially, these tabs are a kind of seals, created in the laboratory on a pre-made mould. This technology relates to one kind of fixed prosthesis.
Aesthetic and visual characteristics significantly distinguish dental the tab from ordinary fillings. Such prosthesis resembles
particle molar with identical grooves and tubercles, has similar colors and form. In the result of long-term manual work get ready the tooth, the tab is placed in a prepared cavity.
Most often tabs are set by dentists for back teeth. These devices are often used in the process of prosthetics as support structures for bridge prostheses.
Tab is better than the seals?
Dissatisfaction with modern filling materials leads to many attempts of scientists to find new ways to replace hard dental tissues. The versatile material could be a wonderful solution to the problem of sealing, if it meets absolutely all existing requirements.
But to date this material has not been developed, so modern dentistry can choose from a huge number of different sealing means.
The main negative quality of these materials is considered to be insufficient sealing. Each seal tend to sit in the polymerization process. Therefore, the material eventually peels off and between the walls of the tooth and seal cracks are formed.
If replacing the seals is too often, you run the risk of widening and deepening of cavities and, as a consequence, the complete destruction of the tooth. Teeth weaken after re-turning. In some cases, cracks are formed between the teeth, which eventually becomes the reason for the development of functional pathology.
The installation of dental inlays has several important advantages:
- The reliability and durability. To create ceramic restorations use a special dental porcelain, which is comparable in hardness with most lasting tooth enamel.
- The material is not shrunk with time. It is because of the shrinkage of the seal can fall out over time. With ceramic tabs never do.
- Durability. Length of service tabs is much higher than in common seals. The average lifespan of such devices is 7-10 years when installed even on the teeth that are most susceptible to damage.
- The convenience and comfort. When installing these fixtures is not necessary all the time to keep your mouth open so that the treated spot not hit saliva. The insert is secured within a few minutes.
- Accuracy. Dental education never occur again under the tabs, due to the high accuracy and adherence to the shape of the product during its manufacture and prileganija to dental tissues.
- Resistant colors. Over time, the tabs do not change their color, never darken and retain their original appearance until the end of life.
All of these listed benefits say that the tab on the teeth in some situations much better seals.
A variety of solutions
There are the following types of tabs:
- recovery applies to the full resumption of the colors and shapes of the dental crown;
- stump inlay will be required to restore the lost tooth fragment, after which it is set crown.
Also the inlays are different materials from which they are created:
There are two main kinds of metal-tabs. The difference between them lies in the materials from which they are made. It can be a Zirconia or ordinary ceramic extruded.
How does the ceramic insert on the teeth in reality — the pictures on the theme:
A method of manufacturing
The technology of manufacturing of dental inlays implies the observance of several stages:
- Removal of all dental tissues affected by caries formation, and subsequent formation of a cavity that will contain the tab.
- With the dentition with the aid of special materials is removed from the impression, which is then used in a special dental laboratory, where specialists work for casting of plaster models.
- The resulting model is scanned, and then processed digitally. Thus, by the simulation design.
- Data from the computer is sent to the milling machine, where the pleats are cut in automatic mode.
- Thereafter, the blank is in the process of heat treatment and they are coated with a special porcelain mass.
- After creating the tabs, the dentist carries out the procedure of fixing a tooth cavity that requires only a few minutes.
The installation process
The installation procedure of these tabs is almost indistinguishable from a conventional prosthesis:
- first of all it is necessary to conduct a careful inspection of the entire oral cavity and to give all necessary advice on the restoration and production of tabs;
- the dentist can undertake the necessary procedure to remove dental tissues affected by caries formations;
- after that, the doctor makes an impression of the treated tooth and sends it for further processing in the laboratory;
- compatible dental insert is made from a material which has previously selected the patient;
- after that, the dentist tries on made tab to ensure repeat accuracy of the required size and color of teeth;
- if all fully fit, the dentist performs its fixation with the use of special high-strength adhesive;
- in the final stage established a dental onlay is polished to ensure that there was no difference between the artificial product and the natural tooth.
The patients are advised not to eat food coloring to color the glue is not changed.
Indications and contraindications for use
The use of this type of prosthesis is recommended in these cases:
- the lack of some of the teeth;
- implants are inserted when the jaw has no teeth at all;
- in some cases, removable dentures are badly recorded, and tabs, just what you need;
- sometimes tabs are used when the bone will atrophy over time due to the constant lack of the tooth and mechanical effects on bone.
Before implantation, dentists recommend blood tests. In addition, it is desirable to make the both jaws.
In some situations there is a need for the following procedures:
- computed tomography;
- surgical templates;
- it is also necessary to determine the thickness of the mucosa in the area of the forthcoming operation for fixation of the implant;
- biopotentials the oral cavity is required prior to installation of various dental prostheses or implants.
Contraindications most often determined on the basis of such data:
- information about the disease suffered by the patient earlier.
- results General clinical examination of the patient;
- information about the emotional and psychological state.
Hands on experience will replace nothing
It will be useful to study reviews, in which patients and professionals voiced their opinion about dental deposits.
I put a tooth pad a few years ago. Still no problems with my teeth I have had. Colors picked perfectly. The tab cannot be distinguished from ordinary tooth.
Alina Viktorovna, 43
In my many years of practice among all the methods of restoring the shape of teeth affected by carious formations, patients often prefer the installation of dental inlays. It is certainly the best of the existing proposals, if we compare these devices with all the possible ways of filling.
Dentist, experience for 17 years
What determines the cost
Tariffs for prosthesis using dental tabs depend on the variety of materials used in the manufacture of:
- the cost of regular ceramic inlays can range approximately from 200 to 240 $;
- the cost of products of zirconium dioxide is from 250 to 300 $;
- the price of items made of gold, is individually calculated taking into account the cost of the work involved experts and the amount of processed material;
- cost of tabs created from chromium-cobalt based alloy can be 65 $;
- prices for composite fillings by 25-30% higher than ordinary filling, regardless of the clinic.